I probably should have posted this yesterday, in time for Meatless Monday but ... the day got away from me. You can save it until next week. Honestly, this recipe is so flexible: I usually add some sort of smallish diced veggies (especially good - and pretty - with zucchini and carrots). Last night I made with with chopped chard and it was really good, too. So, be creative!
We usually serve this on top of salad and have guacamole, chips and salsa to round out the meal, sort of like a taco salad. You could definitely use this as a filling for tacos, too, or ... whatever your heart desires.
Tofu Black Bean tacos
- serves 4 - 6
- 2 (14 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- salad mix, shredded cheese, guacamole, tortillas or tortilla chips, salsa
Drain tofu slightly, and then add to a medium bowl. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander and salt into a bowl and mash together with a fork; set aside.
Drain and rinse black beans; set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and two-thirds of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add beans and cook, mashing just a little bit. Add tofu mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Add remaining green onions, stir well and cook about 2 minutes more. Top with cilantro.
Serve. Spoon tofu mixture onto salad or into tortillas, top with cheese, guac and salsa and serve. Enjoy!