We're lucky that we live in a place that has amazing avocados. The kids love this one; a tiny bit of sriracha is also a nice addition.
Avocado and Lentil Salad
Any lentils that hold their shape will work, but I really like black lentils and French green lentils (lentilles du Pays)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1-2 ripe avocados, quartered
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts, chopped (good options are walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts; even sunflower seeds would be good too)
- 1/4 cup minced chives
Smash the oregano and salt into a paste in a mortar and pestle. Gradually work in the olive oil, and then the lemon juice.
Toss the lentils with 2 tablespoons of the oregano oil, taste, and season if needed. Arrange on a platter or in a bowl. Just before serving, cut the avocado into quarters, then slice quite thinly, and very lightly toss with the lentils. Drizzle with a bit more of the oil, and sprinkle with the nuts, and chives. Enjoy!